The United States has carried out military strikes inside Venezuela, a U.S. official told Reuters early Saturday, confirming a dramatic escalation in tensions between Washington and Caracas. The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, did not provide details on targets, weapons used, or the duration of the operation.
Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro responded by declaring a state of emergency, accusing the United States of a “very serious military aggression” after multiple explosions and aircraft-like sounds were reported across the capital, Caracas. Residents in several districts reported temporary power outages, while social media videos showed flashes in the night sky and the sound of low-flying aircraft.

U.S. Media Confirm American Involvement
U.S. media outlets CBS News and Fox News cited unnamed officials in the Trump administration confirming that U.S. forces were responsible for the strikes. Neither outlet provided operational specifics, and the Pentagon had not issued a public statement at the time of reporting.
A senior U.S. official told Reuters only that the operation was ongoing, declining to elaborate further.
Venezuela Accuses U.S. of Striking Civilian and Military Sites
In a strongly worded statement, the Venezuelan government said it “rejects, repudiates and denounces before the international community the extremely serious military aggression perpetrated by the current government of the United States of America against Venezuelan territory and people.”
Venezuelan authorities alleged that both civilian and military locations were hit, though no independent verification of specific targets or casualty figures was immediately available. Emergency services were placed on high alert across Caracas and surrounding areas.

Regional Reaction: Colombia Calls for Urgent UN Meeting
Colombian President Gustavo Petro condemned what he described as “missile” attacks on Caracas and called for immediate international action.
“At this moment they are bombing Caracas,” Petro wrote on X. “Alert everyone — they have attacked Venezuela. They are bombing with missiles. The United Nations and the Organization of American States must meet immediately.”
Petro did not provide evidence for his assertions and did not specify the source of his information. He has previously criticised Washington’s pressure campaign against Caracas.
Broader Context: U.S.–Venezuela Tensions
The reported strikes come amid years of deteriorating relations between the United States and Venezuela, marked by sanctions, diplomatic isolation, and accusations by Washington of narcotics trafficking and organised crime links involving Venezuelan networks. The Trump administration has repeatedly vowed to intensify pressure on Maduro’s government, while ruling out — and at times hinting at — direct military options.
In recent months, U.S. officials have spoken openly about targeting drug trafficking infrastructure and transnational criminal groups linked to Venezuela, though it remains unclear whether the current strikes are connected to counternarcotics operations, security objectives, or broader strategic aims.

What Is Known — and What Is Not
Confirmed:
- A U.S. official acknowledged American strikes inside Venezuela.
- Multiple explosions and aircraft sounds were reported in Caracas.
- President Maduro declared a state of emergency.
Unconfirmed:
- Exact targets and weapons used.
- Casualty figures or extent of damage.
- Whether strikes focused on military, security, or criminal infrastructure.
What Comes Next
Diplomats expect urgent discussions at regional and international forums if the situation escalates further. Markets and neighbouring governments are closely watching developments for signs of wider instability in northern South America.
As of early Saturday, both sides appeared to be escalating their rhetoric, with the risk that further military or political steps could follow.
Discover more from Defence Talks | Defense News Hub, Military Updates, Security Insights
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.





