Friday, May 22, 2026

Top 5 This Week

Related Posts

Pentagon Suspends Canada Defense Talks Over Military Spending and F-35 Delays

The United States has suspended planned biannual defense talks with Canada, citing growing concern inside the Pentagon that Ottawa is failing to become a sufficiently credible military partner amid mounting security challenges in North America and the Arctic.

The move marks a rare point of friction in one of the world’s closest defense relationships and reflects broader tensions between Washington and Ottawa over military spending, fighter jet procurement and strategic priorities.

The Pentagon this week announced it was Pausing participation in the Permanent Joint Board on Defense (PJBD), a senior bilateral advisory forum on continental defense established in 1940.

The body has long served as a mechanism for coordinating security planning between the two countries.

A Pentagon official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Washington increasingly believes Canada has failed to make difficult political and financial decisions necessary to strengthen its military posture.

“Canada has yet to make the hard decisions and tradeoffs needed to put it on track to become a credible partner in the mutual defense of our continent and hemisphere,” the official said.

Pentagon Pushes Canada to Raise Defense Spending

At the center of the dispute is military spending.

The Pentagon wants Canada to accelerate plans to raise:

Core defense spending from 2% to 3.5% of GDP by 2035 in line with emerging NATO expectations for allied burden sharing.

The issue has become increasingly sensitive as the United States pushes NATO allies to shoulder more responsibility for regional defense, particularly as Washington balances commitments in:

  • Europe
  • The Indo-Pacific
  • The Middle East

while confronting growing pressure from China and Russia.

For the Pentagon, the Arctic has become an increasingly important theater.

Melting ice routes, growing military activity and strategic competition are forcing North American allies to rethink regional defense planning.

Washington increasingly expects allies, particularly Canada, to contribute more significantly to securing northern approaches.

F-35 Fighter Jet Review Sparks Frustration

Another major source of tension is Canada’s prolonged review of plans to purchase F-35 Lightning II fighter aircraft.

Ottawa previously committed to buying 88 Lockheed Martin F-35s but a government review of the procurement process has dragged on longer than expected.

The assessment was originally expected to conclude around September 2025 but remains unfinished.

The delays come amid growing political tensions with Washington and speculation that Canada may split the acquisition by reducing F-35 purchases and supplementing them with Saab Gripen jets from Sweden.

Pentagon officials view the delays as politically driven.

“The Canadian government’s delays and lack of transparency around its ongoing F-35 review are just one example of the prioritization of politics over our shared responsibility for North America’s defense,” the U.S. official said.

The Pentagon said it hopes Canada reaches a decision quickly.

Canada Defends Military Investments

Canada pushed back against the criticism.

A spokesperson for Defense Minister,  David McGuinty said Ottawa has already made Historic investments in:

  • Arctic security
  • Continental defense
  • Military modernization.

Canada plans to spend roughly $87 billion over 20 years to modernize NORAD, the joint U.S.-Canada air defense system responsible for monitoring and defending North American airspace.

Ottawa also says it remains committed to reaching NATO’s new defense spending target.

“We continue to accelerate our path to NATO’s new target of 3.5% on core defence spending by 2035,” a spokesperson said.

Broader Political Friction Between Trump and Carney

The defense disagreement comes amid wider tensions between Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney.

The two governments have clashed over:

  • Trade disputes
  • Arctic policy
  • U.S. strategic priorities

Trump has also repeatedly made controversial comments about Greenland and at times joked about Canada becoming The 51st U.S. state remarks that have fueled political irritation in Ottawa.

Carney has publicly argued that Canada’s historical dependence on the United States has become a strategic vulnerability and has increasingly sought stronger ties with what he calls “Middle powers” amid concerns Washington is becoming a less predictable partner.

Over the past year, Canada has signed more than 20 economic and security agreements including arrangements with China, while also negotiating closer cooperation with India.

Still, nearly 70% of Canadian exports continue to go to the United States.

NORAD Cooperation Remains Intact

Despite the suspension of the defense forum, both governments emphasized that operational military cooperation remains unchanged.

Carney downplayed the Pentagon’s move.

“I wouldn’t overplay the importance of this,” he told reporters, pointing to continued cooperation through NORAD.

The Pentagon similarly stressed that NORAD remains critical to defending North America.

However, officials also signaled frustration that long-term continental security depends on more balanced contributions.

“Its mutual benefit depends on Canada’s ability to contribute proportionately,” the Pentagon official said.

Why the Pause Matters

The suspension of participation in the Permanent Joint Board on Defense does not immediately affect military operations.

But politically:

It sends a message.

Washington increasingly wants allies to:

Spend more, move faster and prioritize defense readiness

particularly in regions like the Arctic, where strategic competition is accelerating.

For Canada, the dispute underscores a broader challenge:

Balancing domestic politics, defense modernization and economic diversification while preserving one of its most important strategic relationships.

Whether Ottawa accelerates military spending and finalizes its F-35 decision could shape the future trajectory of US-Canada defense cooperation.

Hammad Saeed
Hammad Saeed
Hammad Saeed has been associated with journalism for 14 years, working with various newspapers and TV channels. Hammad Saeed started with city reporting and covered important issues on national affairs. Now he is working on national security and international affairs and is the Special Correspondent of Defense Talks in Lahore.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular Articles